Skip to main content

On Practice 2

Today, X said to me and V (and U and Z and C were also sitting around the table as usual), "So many young people try to do things one way and when it doesn't work, they get depressed." I thought about a lot of young people and I noticed a few things...

Like E, for example. If E would only zoom out for a second she would see how ridiculous she is. Everyone can see that E has been provided for and spoon-fed for most of her life. She has been given so much attention from her family that she has come to expect this even of others. Every time someone comes to me with a new story about E, I am reminded that what we do is not for the purpose of building an extended family of people who will buy us presents, call us when we are lonely, entertain us. It is to identify and develop fellow fighters in the struggle to win against the enemy.

Or like F, who thinks that his main problem is that he doesn't know how to deal with people who are different. Even before the "dealing" part, he doesn't admit that he doesn't even know anything about these people, how they think, what motivates them, etc. He looks down on them, thinks he has them figured out, and they (being sophisticated animals) do something unscripted. They deviate from the ideal, the ideal being progressive, open-minded and selfless. I too used to think l.....s were just blood-sucking parasites, but they're actually very good at what they do. And I realized that I have a lot to learn from them.

Finally G. She thinks she is only being used, but doesn't see how this is not pure. Of course people want to use you if you are useful, and of course it's no use to be useless, but in the middle of that desire to use you is there not some kernel of a desire to find truth in you as well? Being among the almost totally useless people myself, it's hard to relate to G sometimes. But I can imagine what she is going through, how overwhelming it might be, how hard it might be to quickly seize opportunities and be creative. But isn't that the whole point? Again, I've never been a very creative person, but I do like to be near those people who are always finding new things to try and new ways to solve old problems.

Today I am reminded that I need to zoom out, know that I don't know, and find people who have fresh ideas. And not get depressed when my ideas inevitably don't work out.

Comments

Yoshi said…
hang in there, mikachan.

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese Class in NYC - first lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's been a while since my last post! I have just begun my first job in NYC!!! Teaching after-school classes in Japanese Language and Anime Culture in a inner-city high school in dowtown manhattan! Welcome to the first installment...) "You better have a leg in it," said N__ when she heard how many students I had in my Japanese class: over 30. I had to ask what that meant, but I wasn't feeling any kind of ominous energy from the students who had signed up for after-school Japanese Language Club. What I mean is: Who signs up to stay at school for 3 extra hours unless they really want to be there??? After trying (and failing) to set up a DVD for the first hour, waiting for the students to trickle in, and being herded into a corner by a Student Government meeting, I began class. The first order of the day was to break up into groups and brainstorm what the students expected of each other, of themselves, and of me as a teacher. Many of them said the same things: for the t

postcard poetry: here are some of my favorite postcards that i've sent to people so far 1

providence can be a brutal city, just like any other. in this glass box I watched the ocean fall in sheets outside computer clusters, braid inside the gutters. umbrellas made no difference. this is the version i actually ended up using: Providence can be and has been just as brutal as any other city in the country, but i was safe and desperately warm within the glass cage, watching the Atlantic fall in sheets, watching the acid rain braid itself into the gut- ters, wringing words like fair- trade coffee from my strained eyeballs to stain the imaginary page on my computer screen.

Japanese Class Downtown (Week of 10/23)

This week, we got around to talking about the indigenous peoples of Japan. Concepts that we touched on: - “Assimilation” - “History is written by the winners,” and therefore - “Losers are depicted by the winners.” - “ethnic groups” - “minorities” In the first half of the class, we watched a movie – 『もののけ姫』(Princess Mononoke) – which was the most popular movie in Japan until Titanic came out afterwards. It was also the most expensive animated movie to make, up until its release date (2004), at a production cost of about $20 million. I introduced the movie by talking about the setting – Muromachi Period (1336-1573), roughly contemporary with the Ming Dynasty and the arrival of C. Columbus in what is now known as the Caribbean. The main character of the movie is an Emishi prince, from a clan of natives who have continued to resist the Japanese Shogunal government. (Historians say that the Emishi natives were all assimilated by 1300.) The main character of the movie is based on a historica