Skip to main content

MangaNEXT Convention, Day 1

I have been facilitating an after-school Anime Club at two high schools next to Ground Zero, alongside teaching Japanese after school (there is a lot of overlap in the student participants). As I do more and more research on Anime and Manga availability in the U.S., I meet increasing numbers of young people of color from all kinds of backgrounds who are consuming and producing their own anime-related work. Yet the culture of Anime and Manga consumption/production in the U.S. is still dominated by white (and Asian) males, although there seems to be an increasing number of women being recognized on an institutional level.

As an artist and teacher who was raised on anime/manga (I learned Japanese by reading and watching) I'm pretty interested in the changing social impact of Japanese/US manga and anime culture. So I decided to hop on NJ Transit bus #129 after work today and attend the 2nd annual MangaNEXT convention (only the second convention devoted exclusively to manga ever held in the U.S.) This was my first day.

My first impression as I entered the air-conditioned faux-marble lobby of the Crowne Plaza Hotel was that I had somehow reverted to a stage of high-school awkwardness and angst. I was alone in a room full of elaborately dressed people who shared a similar language and culture - to which I somehow felt implicated and yet rejected at the same time. I definitely recognized characters from popular anime series. I also recognized sub-mainstream Japanese girl fashion trends...
But of course, first impressions are decieving. On second thought, I decided that I felt more like an ethnographer, entering a little-known and misunderstood society. This, if you know anything about me, is not a feeling I enjoy. I don't like studying people and places in a way that otherizes them or exploits their "inaccessibility" (this is a complicated subject that I have yet to write about.) But one of the reasons I was there was to research a book I want to write on racial representation and anime/manga culture.

My first workshop was led by Kensuke Okabayashi, a professional artist whose book Manga for Dummies is soon to come out (Feb 2008). I learned a few time-saving and stylistic strategies that I will be able to pass on to my students in the after school Anime Club. I'll also probably use some strategies on the manga I'm currently developing! Okabayashi is currently on hiatus as a Manga instructor for the agency that employs me, the Educational Alliance. We didn't get to talk much but I would be interested in hearing about his experiences teaching manga art to young people in an institutional setting (not that the convention is not institutional.)

As I walked away from the workshop and ate a tupperware dinner in the chaises by the staircase, I realized that in a sense I wasn't so out of place at the convention. I wasn't as desperate for escape-through-fantasy as I used to be as a high-schooler attending Otakon (a huge anime convention held annually in Baltimore) but I was - I am - deeply affected by anime/manga culture. It has affected me so much that the first job I got in NYC was through anime. It also happens to be the only job I've found so far that is super-exciting.

Okabayashi said that in many ways manga is intensely personal. I should bring that to my students - "Create your own characters from scratch. Make you yourself into a character." I would say that some of the best manga I've seen comes from real-life characters. Hopefully, we can make it happen in the Anime Club.

Comments

Rona said…
wow I really love this blog entry- I would also like to know what these “few time-saving and stylistic strategies” are that Okabayashi talks about. I love how the entry comes back around and talks about how you realize that you are not so out of place, I guess I really like the self-reflection in this entry. And ending with this last paragraph- what a great full circle
“Okabayashi said that in many ways manga is intensely personal. I should bring that to my students - "Create your own characters from scratch. Make you yourself into a character."
WOW. Wonderful. You’ve just inspired me to create manga. I would like to draw with you now. And don't forget to get back to me about the time saving and stylistic strategies!!
Rona said…
actually, above comment was not posted by RRRR! it was by One Line Wang.
naga said…
by the way, One Line Wang, even if you can't/don't want to draw, you can still create manga with me! you can be the story-writer for the manga about Lao Wang and his family of Wangs. We could publish it and give a copy to your fam (and your cousins could be in a sequel!)

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese Class in NYC - first lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's been a while since my last post! I have just begun my first job in NYC!!! Teaching after-school classes in Japanese Language and Anime Culture in a inner-city high school in dowtown manhattan! Welcome to the first installment...) "You better have a leg in it," said N__ when she heard how many students I had in my Japanese class: over 30. I had to ask what that meant, but I wasn't feeling any kind of ominous energy from the students who had signed up for after-school Japanese Language Club. What I mean is: Who signs up to stay at school for 3 extra hours unless they really want to be there??? After trying (and failing) to set up a DVD for the first hour, waiting for the students to trickle in, and being herded into a corner by a Student Government meeting, I began class. The first order of the day was to break up into groups and brainstorm what the students expected of each other, of themselves, and of me as a teacher. Many of them said the same things: for the t

postcard poetry: here are some of my favorite postcards that i've sent to people so far 1

providence can be a brutal city, just like any other. in this glass box I watched the ocean fall in sheets outside computer clusters, braid inside the gutters. umbrellas made no difference. this is the version i actually ended up using: Providence can be and has been just as brutal as any other city in the country, but i was safe and desperately warm within the glass cage, watching the Atlantic fall in sheets, watching the acid rain braid itself into the gut- ters, wringing words like fair- trade coffee from my strained eyeballs to stain the imaginary page on my computer screen.

Japanese Class Downtown (Week of 10/23)

This week, we got around to talking about the indigenous peoples of Japan. Concepts that we touched on: - “Assimilation” - “History is written by the winners,” and therefore - “Losers are depicted by the winners.” - “ethnic groups” - “minorities” In the first half of the class, we watched a movie – 『もののけ姫』(Princess Mononoke) – which was the most popular movie in Japan until Titanic came out afterwards. It was also the most expensive animated movie to make, up until its release date (2004), at a production cost of about $20 million. I introduced the movie by talking about the setting – Muromachi Period (1336-1573), roughly contemporary with the Ming Dynasty and the arrival of C. Columbus in what is now known as the Caribbean. The main character of the movie is an Emishi prince, from a clan of natives who have continued to resist the Japanese Shogunal government. (Historians say that the Emishi natives were all assimilated by 1300.) The main character of the movie is based on a historica