Skip to main content

"This is a script with both sound and meaning"

some words i have recently re-discovered and with which i have rekindled a romance:
hummingbird
morsels
porcupine
crave
skitter
pumps
rush
ponytail
stem
astringent
sinister
condensation
dominate
battle
mushroom
yum

words that have lost favor with me recently:
space
feel
syllable
tail
challenge
script
descent
race
class
press
guilt
like
futile
suicide
waterproof
sorry

I tried to explain the four writing systems in Japanese today with my middle school students. I guess the basic one would be hiragana - a script that indicates different sounds arranged in syllables, which can be rearranged to form words. Katakana, the other basic script is a counterpart sound-script that looks edgier and is used only for foreign words. The third script is kanji, Chinese characters that signal both a sound and a meaning - some kanji characters are associated with multiple sounds and multiple meanings. The final script is romaji, based on the alphabet, used for the transliteration of Japanese words as well as for spelling words from English and other Latin-based languages. I guess a fifth script would be so-called Arabic numerals.

It seemed so abstract to me as I was explaining this to my students, though. "This is a script that incorporates both sound and meaning." - what does that mean? I've found that it's useful to compare hiragana and katakana to lowercase and uppercase, respectively. Is it just me, or does upper case feel more edgy, more angular, than lowercase? Partly because of the history of the usage of katakana in religious and government texts, this script always has a very "masculine" feel to it. Well, to be specific, it is the historic and persistent male domination of religious and government spheres that genders the script. In any case, I often wonder why I persist in describing katakana to my students as "more angular"...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese Class in NYC - first lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's been a while since my last post! I have just begun my first job in NYC!!! Teaching after-school classes in Japanese Language and Anime Culture in a inner-city high school in dowtown manhattan! Welcome to the first installment...) "You better have a leg in it," said N__ when she heard how many students I had in my Japanese class: over 30. I had to ask what that meant, but I wasn't feeling any kind of ominous energy from the students who had signed up for after-school Japanese Language Club. What I mean is: Who signs up to stay at school for 3 extra hours unless they really want to be there??? After trying (and failing) to set up a DVD for the first hour, waiting for the students to trickle in, and being herded into a corner by a Student Government meeting, I began class. The first order of the day was to break up into groups and brainstorm what the students expected of each other, of themselves, and of me as a teacher. Many of them said the same things: for the t

obaachan

something came over me just now, as i finished writing holiday cards to ppl in japan. my grandmother is in a private hospital, blowing all her decades of savings in the high-income ward where she was placed when she collapsed from diabetes complications. she cycles in an out of good health according to my mother, who flies back and forth between DC and nagoya in the final months of her 30-year employment at the world bank. my mom bikes back and forth from the hospital to the little wooden row-house (長屋) that survived air-raids during WWII, virtually untouched since that time. back and forth in and out up and down how to break free of this incessant cycle of death and rebirth? only through struggle...

Japanese Class Downtown (Week of 10/23)

This week, we got around to talking about the indigenous peoples of Japan. Concepts that we touched on: - “Assimilation” - “History is written by the winners,” and therefore - “Losers are depicted by the winners.” - “ethnic groups” - “minorities” In the first half of the class, we watched a movie – 『もののけ姫』(Princess Mononoke) – which was the most popular movie in Japan until Titanic came out afterwards. It was also the most expensive animated movie to make, up until its release date (2004), at a production cost of about $20 million. I introduced the movie by talking about the setting – Muromachi Period (1336-1573), roughly contemporary with the Ming Dynasty and the arrival of C. Columbus in what is now known as the Caribbean. The main character of the movie is an Emishi prince, from a clan of natives who have continued to resist the Japanese Shogunal government. (Historians say that the Emishi natives were all assimilated by 1300.) The main character of the movie is based on a historica