Skip to main content

poetic dialog b/w me and RMK: "August"

in response to "Lineage for Mika"



look up i say: look
in the dirt my eyes are as
diamonds in a deep cave with no light
and i am my best and only friend.
will you be there for me? when
i dis-integrate, will you be laughing at the law
of entropy. can this room grow to fit
many rooms? all rooms? because as
deep as i dig no ancestral mouths
emerge to fill my blood with music

that only happens when i step onto the
streets of Kochi in late summer, the
through-ways of the old arcade
shaking with the rattle of naruko
(clapping like fleshless hands) and
jumping with the stomp of sole-based beats.
my mouth fills with the wind of this
island moving me to the ocean
where i turtle up and down the beach, dragging
me and my long shadows along the shores
because i yosakoi - only come around at night.
I’ve never been to Hiroshima,
but I am Nagasaki on a white hot august day.
i am comfortable blinking stars
away but it kills me to drag my body,
growing heavier and more worried,
back into the water, thick with spirits.
back into the pull and pull of the tides,

into the flashing lights rising from
the cities, into the gentrifying
neighborhoods and the forested suburbs
back into the bogs that hatch
fireflies and blood-sucking insects,
where first Native blood rebelled and bled,
and later African blood rebelled and ran red
and eventually dried in the branches as the bodies
swung low, below the Mason-Dixon line.

so i say look! and let the heat sear out
your body through the cornea.
can i collect family the way
bones collect dust in a museum? if
i move, will you fall off? if i settle,
will the room get smaller?
will you be there? (as you say, the dead
will not) and if so, where
will i be? my need is for a land to reach up
from the hills and grab my ankles
tell me that i won't float away. say:
"i got you."

Comments

Coal said…
because as
deep as i dig no ancestral mouths
emerge to fill my blood with music

Wow! I love that. The last stanza is my favorite. I need to reread this a few more times--so much there!

I would have been spazzing at the book part. snapping and bobbing my head. hahaha
Green Woman said…
Hey mika. I love it. Thanks for reading my blog. I just posted another entry on red tape. If you are in DC this christmas, I must remember to look you up. really did love "august." reminds me of the conversations in M/car we used to have about being transnational entities! miss our rambling talks.

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese Class in NYC - first lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's been a while since my last post! I have just begun my first job in NYC!!! Teaching after-school classes in Japanese Language and Anime Culture in a inner-city high school in dowtown manhattan! Welcome to the first installment...) "You better have a leg in it," said N__ when she heard how many students I had in my Japanese class: over 30. I had to ask what that meant, but I wasn't feeling any kind of ominous energy from the students who had signed up for after-school Japanese Language Club. What I mean is: Who signs up to stay at school for 3 extra hours unless they really want to be there??? After trying (and failing) to set up a DVD for the first hour, waiting for the students to trickle in, and being herded into a corner by a Student Government meeting, I began class. The first order of the day was to break up into groups and brainstorm what the students expected of each other, of themselves, and of me as a teacher. Many of them said the same things: for the t

postcard poetry: here are some of my favorite postcards that i've sent to people so far 1

providence can be a brutal city, just like any other. in this glass box I watched the ocean fall in sheets outside computer clusters, braid inside the gutters. umbrellas made no difference. this is the version i actually ended up using: Providence can be and has been just as brutal as any other city in the country, but i was safe and desperately warm within the glass cage, watching the Atlantic fall in sheets, watching the acid rain braid itself into the gut- ters, wringing words like fair- trade coffee from my strained eyeballs to stain the imaginary page on my computer screen.

obaachan

something came over me just now, as i finished writing holiday cards to ppl in japan. my grandmother is in a private hospital, blowing all her decades of savings in the high-income ward where she was placed when she collapsed from diabetes complications. she cycles in an out of good health according to my mother, who flies back and forth between DC and nagoya in the final months of her 30-year employment at the world bank. my mom bikes back and forth from the hospital to the little wooden row-house (長屋) that survived air-raids during WWII, virtually untouched since that time. back and forth in and out up and down how to break free of this incessant cycle of death and rebirth? only through struggle...