Skip to main content

Estacion Libre - Death... and REBIRTH!

The Orange House, headquarters for Estacion Libre in San Cristobal de las Casas, Chis., MX, home base for all delegations to Zapatista Liberated Territory from the U.S. since 1998, safe-space for people of color... will cease to exist after August 2007.

from the Estacion-Libre listserv:
"Dear Sisters and Brothers,
We are writing to you after a long silence to officially let you know that we will be closing down the Orange House that has served as our home in San Cristobal. The house has served as a container for beautifully frustrating and productive struggle. In the beginning, as you all may know, we opened our home to address the need for a People of Color space in a revolutionary setting. Our goal has been to learn from the Zapatista struggle about rebellion and how to bring these lessons to our communities in the United States and Canada. It served as a space for movement building, fostering connection, popular education, strategizing, refining our political analyses, transcending limitations, transforming how we relate to each other, healing, art, love-making and celebrating our discontent, hope and resistance."

The Orange House was where many of my conflicting paths intersected and confronted each other. It was a powerful space for me, even if maybe I wasn't really ready for it. I regret the ways in which I have not been able to transcend my limitations, or fully bring the lessons I learned back to "my community." I hope to continue "bringing back" and I hope that this writing exercise will allow me to do it. One of the reasons I started this blog is that I have been walking around recently with Estacion Libre's impending Death in mind, and I needed to write about it. I needed to call back the me that experienced all the learning, growth, and paralysis that happened in Chiapas in the winter of 2005. This is my way of celebrating and mourning.

I am somewhat overwhelmed by the Death of Estacion Libre, so I won't be able to talk about Rebirth yet. I am hoping against hope that I will somehow find a way to attend either the Death/Rebirth meeting in Brooklyn on July 22 or one of the Final Delegations in August.

In either case, I hope that there will be something that moves you or something that you willl find useful.

with peace & respect,

Que Viva Estacion Libre!
Long Live Estacion Libre!

Comments

Dojiang said…
huh! we've been so busy house hunting that i havent heard about this from you! did you write the "Dear sisters and brothers" letter? who wrote it? is it just the orange house dying? or EL in general?! fill me in!

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese Class in NYC - first lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's been a while since my last post! I have just begun my first job in NYC!!! Teaching after-school classes in Japanese Language and Anime Culture in a inner-city high school in dowtown manhattan! Welcome to the first installment...) "You better have a leg in it," said N__ when she heard how many students I had in my Japanese class: over 30. I had to ask what that meant, but I wasn't feeling any kind of ominous energy from the students who had signed up for after-school Japanese Language Club. What I mean is: Who signs up to stay at school for 3 extra hours unless they really want to be there??? After trying (and failing) to set up a DVD for the first hour, waiting for the students to trickle in, and being herded into a corner by a Student Government meeting, I began class. The first order of the day was to break up into groups and brainstorm what the students expected of each other, of themselves, and of me as a teacher. Many of them said the same things: for the t...

Secret Message Writing Exercise (Epistolary Poem)

This is a great writing activity that I learned from DW, but I’ve modified it a little bit so that it will be easier to use with my poetry students. (D, please feel free to post your own version or other versions you have heard of.) materials: lined paper tracing paper instructions: at the top of the sheet of lined paper, write Dear ___________ (fill in the blank with whatever. this will be your reader, your audience, and you will write a letter as if to _______________.) write a secret message to someone that you’ve been meaning to tell but never had the guts to do it. (1 – 2 sentences, but they don’t have to be full sentences). write it on the lined paper so that the message is scattered on the page but so that you can still read it top to bottom and left to right. now forget your secret message when the moderator begins to keep time, start writing and don’t stop. write anything you want but don’t stop, even if you get stuck. if you can’t think of anything, just write nonsense until ...

MangaNEXT Convention, Day 1

I have been facilitating an after-school Anime Club at two high schools next to Ground Zero, alongside teaching Japanese after school (there is a lot of overlap in the student participants). As I do more and more research on Anime and Manga availability in the U.S., I meet increasing numbers of young people of color from all kinds of backgrounds who are consuming and producing their own anime-related work. Yet the culture of Anime and Manga consumption/production in the U.S. is still dominated by white (and Asian) males, although there seems to be an increasing number of women being recognized on an institutional level. As an artist and teacher who was raised on anime/manga (I learned Japanese by reading and watching) I'm pretty interested in the changing social impact of Japanese/US manga and anime culture. So I decided to hop on NJ Transit bus #129 after work today and attend the 2nd annual MangaNEXT convention (only the second convention devoted exclusively to manga ever held in...