Skip to main content

How to speak... 1

July 19, 2007

I’ve been thinking about this all week, and I finally got to talk about it with GC and DW last night, which was very helpful. But first, I should start with the problem, which is that: I tend to get more or less flustered when one of my students asks me to talk about something that I have complicated feelings about. It hasn’t always been easy to ask people about their feelings or about their families, or where they come from; but now I find this much easier than to talk about feminism, or white supremacy, or immigration. The other day one of my students (IJ) asked me about the shirt I was wearing – depicting a Zapatista with a bandana around her mouth and braids down the sides. Below, the letters EZLN. He was like:
- What is that – EZ…L…N? Is that like a gang?
I ended up saying something like
- Well, … they’re more like… freedom fighters.
To which he replied:
- So are we gonna fight?
And I said:
- Uhhh… well, first you need to know what you’re fighting for.
- We fight for our pride!
- … OK…
And meanwhile I’m thinking Pride?? What are you a lion? And then I think about the pictures of Bob Marley facing a lion and about the dignity of the Zapatistas that I met in Chiapas and about the egos of “solidarity activists” who think they’re revolutionaries and… It’s suddenly time to go for our afternoon ride on the trails.

And on Tuesday, the same student IJ got accused of sexual harassment by a student in the neighboring class (but not in so many words). They got taken to Brother V for a talk and when I spoke with the girl the following day, it sounded like the matter had been resolved, but it must have been a painful experience for both students involved. On the asphalt outside, my class was full of rumors about whether the girl was a ho or not or whether she had or had not called him a puto first.
Then M, another student in IJ’s crew leaned back and said:
- Why do girls have so many issues?!
But in this very rhetorical way, as if it were clear that girls by default have a lot of issues, while he as a boy had none. I was just like…
- And you want to tell me you don’t have any issues?
- NO. I’m just – I’m just, playing.
- Well, I do think that it’s hard for girls to get by in our societies that are so male-centric…
At which point I was thinking in my head: What?! Male-centric?? What the hell is that supposed to mean to them?
When I talked to DW about this she told me about something she calls “scaffolding” which she explained as setting up layers so that later down the line it’s easier to explain complicated concepts. How would this work in a class like bike-repair? In our ground-rules should we have talked about the systematic oppression of women and young people and people of color and people with disabilities? In our next class should we have a discussion on personal boundaries?

I think in classes that deal with concepts like history … it’s a little easier to introduce the “scaffolds” but I think it’s important to try to do this no matter what the subject matter is in the class.

One thing I would do differently is try to take my time a little more. I wasn’t exactly quick with my uhhh…s and well…s but it was a whirlwind in my head for sure. On the other hand, it isn't like you have their attention all day.

And what about the difference between preaching and teaching people to think for themselves? This is the subject of another post, I think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese Class in NYC - first lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's been a while since my last post! I have just begun my first job in NYC!!! Teaching after-school classes in Japanese Language and Anime Culture in a inner-city high school in dowtown manhattan! Welcome to the first installment...) "You better have a leg in it," said N__ when she heard how many students I had in my Japanese class: over 30. I had to ask what that meant, but I wasn't feeling any kind of ominous energy from the students who had signed up for after-school Japanese Language Club. What I mean is: Who signs up to stay at school for 3 extra hours unless they really want to be there??? After trying (and failing) to set up a DVD for the first hour, waiting for the students to trickle in, and being herded into a corner by a Student Government meeting, I began class. The first order of the day was to break up into groups and brainstorm what the students expected of each other, of themselves, and of me as a teacher. Many of them said the same things: for the t

Japanese Class Downtown (Week of 10/23)

This week, we got around to talking about the indigenous peoples of Japan. Concepts that we touched on: - “Assimilation” - “History is written by the winners,” and therefore - “Losers are depicted by the winners.” - “ethnic groups” - “minorities” In the first half of the class, we watched a movie – 『もののけ姫』(Princess Mononoke) – which was the most popular movie in Japan until Titanic came out afterwards. It was also the most expensive animated movie to make, up until its release date (2004), at a production cost of about $20 million. I introduced the movie by talking about the setting – Muromachi Period (1336-1573), roughly contemporary with the Ming Dynasty and the arrival of C. Columbus in what is now known as the Caribbean. The main character of the movie is an Emishi prince, from a clan of natives who have continued to resist the Japanese Shogunal government. (Historians say that the Emishi natives were all assimilated by 1300.) The main character of the movie is based on a historica

postcard poetry: here are some of my favorite postcards that i've sent to people so far 1

providence can be a brutal city, just like any other. in this glass box I watched the ocean fall in sheets outside computer clusters, braid inside the gutters. umbrellas made no difference. this is the version i actually ended up using: Providence can be and has been just as brutal as any other city in the country, but i was safe and desperately warm within the glass cage, watching the Atlantic fall in sheets, watching the acid rain braid itself into the gut- ters, wringing words like fair- trade coffee from my strained eyeballs to stain the imaginary page on my computer screen.