Skip to main content

Kundiman testimonial (revised)

This is one of the retreats that gave me some real strategies to take back home...
For those of you who don't know about Kundiman go to kundiman.org!

This is a revised version of what I submitted to the directors as a testimonial:

Language is my homeland, and even this landscape is always moving and changing. The Kundiman Retreat was like an unexpected homecoming. Unexpected because I never knew I could feel so much connection, despite the initial awkwardness. At first, I felt a little “out of place,” and was self-conscious about the fact that I had only begun to really embrace poetry within the past two years. I never doubted that I was a poet, but I didn’t feel comfortable connecting with other, more experienced poets about the process of creating it.

But on the second day, my workshop faculty member brought about a huge movement in how we related to each other. Myung Mi Kim found what connected the very different poetics in our workshop, while recognizing the very different experiences and inspirations that we each hold sacred: poetry for us, in our workshop at least, was in motion, happened in movement, and moved us.

As Toni Morrison says, there is a difference between being touched and being moved by writing. Kundiman was an experience that drastically moved me and moved my writing. Mixpe, one of my many mentors, said that an amazing education can be acquired by learning one thing from every being that we meet. Although I would love to and could easily write a statement about what I learned from each staff member and from all the Kundiman fellows, I will restrain myself to the faculty.

  1. Prageeta Sharma showed me how to explode lines and stanzas from their moorings on the page, move them around.
  2. Myung Mi Kim asked us to revisit what texts we hold sacred, what processes induce writing in us, what are we currently trying to work out through our poetry.
  3. Regie Cabico mapped out the landscape of the poems that we wrote and performed: how to dance along the boundaries between inhabiting a poem and reliving the trauma of it, how to revisit the words and their impulse without losing oneself in the performance.
  4. Patrick Rosal's words throughout the retreat and in the mentorship session connected disparate pieces for me: I learned never to let anyone make me feel ashamed of what I love. I learned that if something is calling me, in whatever language, I have to listen to that call and move towards it.

I really appreciated the absolute and unconditional care with which the staff made every decision, made every ritual into a loving tradition, and above all, I appreciated the love that they brought to every detail of the retreat.

msn


This is the only poem that I wrote during the actual retreat (aside from lunes and other little things). It's still in process:

“Language Sensitivity“

MEMESHII: my mother used to call me this
felt like the impulse to vomit,
like my outsides turning in for false comfort
like absolute contempt.
Memeshii, a word that marches to the same beat
as words like Mediocre, Weak, and Oversensitive.

She sent me to classrooms in northern Virginia
where the light particles and dust hang in the air,
like the arms of swamp willows or retired Southern Belles
like post-bellum battlefields
or shrapnel.

On each mote in the atmospheric
class structure
my teachers hung their own weapons.
They said:
Intolerable, Youbettershapeup, and Standardsofintellectualmerit.
They trained me to speak French, then Latin
until I growled three languages
incomprehensible to my family.

Outside the sharp, restricted light of my
“Humanistic” education, I
Found the shadowy foxtails of the word
That scrambled my intestines as a child:
女々しい
(also written: 女女しい)
radical translation: woman woman ish.

I stand in classrooms many years and
many miles later,
In southern Maryland,
Muraled by the faces of Malcolm X,
Frida Kahlo, and Che.
These are the heroes that the students picked
and painted –
students like the ones in my class,

like Te’Renée or Devon,
who calls out anything
that moves, for being “gay”
or Carl, who polices the darkness of his friends’
darker complexions.
Neither picked by them nor their hero,
I try to reach them by any means necessary.
And I wonder what convinced them that black
might not be radiantly beautiful
and what is so revolting (revolutionary) about loving
one another.

Comments

janeifer wang said…
it's so interesting that a lot of the things u learned or at least that u wrote about in relation to kundiman have so much to do with movement... love u, love ur blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese Class in NYC - first lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's been a while since my last post! I have just begun my first job in NYC!!! Teaching after-school classes in Japanese Language and Anime Culture in a inner-city high school in dowtown manhattan! Welcome to the first installment...) "You better have a leg in it," said N__ when she heard how many students I had in my Japanese class: over 30. I had to ask what that meant, but I wasn't feeling any kind of ominous energy from the students who had signed up for after-school Japanese Language Club. What I mean is: Who signs up to stay at school for 3 extra hours unless they really want to be there??? After trying (and failing) to set up a DVD for the first hour, waiting for the students to trickle in, and being herded into a corner by a Student Government meeting, I began class. The first order of the day was to break up into groups and brainstorm what the students expected of each other, of themselves, and of me as a teacher. Many of them said the same things: for the t

Japanese Class Downtown (Week of 10/23)

This week, we got around to talking about the indigenous peoples of Japan. Concepts that we touched on: - “Assimilation” - “History is written by the winners,” and therefore - “Losers are depicted by the winners.” - “ethnic groups” - “minorities” In the first half of the class, we watched a movie – 『もののけ姫』(Princess Mononoke) – which was the most popular movie in Japan until Titanic came out afterwards. It was also the most expensive animated movie to make, up until its release date (2004), at a production cost of about $20 million. I introduced the movie by talking about the setting – Muromachi Period (1336-1573), roughly contemporary with the Ming Dynasty and the arrival of C. Columbus in what is now known as the Caribbean. The main character of the movie is an Emishi prince, from a clan of natives who have continued to resist the Japanese Shogunal government. (Historians say that the Emishi natives were all assimilated by 1300.) The main character of the movie is based on a historica

obaachan

something came over me just now, as i finished writing holiday cards to ppl in japan. my grandmother is in a private hospital, blowing all her decades of savings in the high-income ward where she was placed when she collapsed from diabetes complications. she cycles in an out of good health according to my mother, who flies back and forth between DC and nagoya in the final months of her 30-year employment at the world bank. my mom bikes back and forth from the hospital to the little wooden row-house (長屋) that survived air-raids during WWII, virtually untouched since that time. back and forth in and out up and down how to break free of this incessant cycle of death and rebirth? only through struggle...