Skip to main content

Japanese Class in NYC - first lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's been a while since my last post! I have just begun my first job in NYC!!! Teaching after-school classes in Japanese Language and Anime Culture in a inner-city high school in dowtown manhattan! Welcome to the first installment...)

"You better have a leg in it," said N__ when she heard how many students I had in my Japanese class: over 30. I had to ask what that meant, but I wasn't feeling any kind of ominous energy from the students who had signed up for after-school Japanese Language Club. What I mean is: Who signs up to stay at school for 3 extra hours unless they really want to be there???

After trying (and failing) to set up a DVD for the first hour, waiting for the students to trickle in, and being herded into a corner by a Student Government meeting, I began class. The first order of the day was to break up into groups and brainstorm what the students expected of each other, of themselves, and of me as a teacher. Many of them said the same things: for the teacher to explain things clearly, for them to become fluent by the end of the year, for the other students to respect one another, for there to be no cursing, for us to get to know each other.

I summarized the expectations and asked them to elaborate on "respect" - what does this mean? What is "cursing"? They came up with words like bitch ("the b-word") and I added that I didn't want to hear "the n-word" etc. The students were clear about not supporting "sexist" or "racist" language, so I asked them about "homophobic language." One student who said he was bi-sexual said "You should be proud of what you are." Another student tried to make a joke and everyone lauhed - everyone definitely thinks that gay-ness is hilarious. So I called them out on that, and one student said that homophobia isn't as bad as racism. To that, many people had a strong reaction, and I asked them to elaborate on their reaction. The conversation definitely ended on a let's-not-hurt-anyone's-feelings note. Which I was ok with.

Then we discussed the consequences of breaking the rules or disrespecting one another. One student said "Expulsion!" but I pointed out that that was a bit harsh. Another student suggested that the offender apologize to the class. Another student suggested that the offender and the offendee "talk about it." I suggested that both strategies be used, and that expulsion would be a last resort.

I let the students leave whenever they wanted, but they were generally very respectful of when they decided to leave - they chose to leave after each major concept/activity.

Throughout this first couple weeks, I've been getting a lot of pressure from other teachers and from my supervisor to be strong/harsh with the students, but I just can't see the benefit of putting more top-down pressure on them in after-school, when they already get yelled at all day. Who would sit through 3 extra hours of screaming? Perhaps I am setting myself up for failure. I guess I'm not that worried.

Comments

noam said…
Mika!!!!!!!!!!!!

First: I miss you!
Second: I'm awed by your post. I find what you're doing and how you're doing it so inspirational.
I hope NYC is welcoming you in the softer pockets of its steel and concrete arms.
Third: I miss you!!!
Fourth: Can't wait to hear more about your work.

-Noam
helene said…
hi mika! i heard you met my friend hanalei. hope you enjoyed the FIRE open house, and i hope you're well. <3
Dojiang said…
so did you ever find out what a “leg in it” means? Do you still have over 30 students in your “jap” class? I think your ground rules session went sooo well!!! Nothing like mine- which had to happen, after all this disrespecting already happened. I definitely am going to go back to this, when I begin working with students after school this year. I think you guided the whole thing very well. Maybe some of the difference is also high school vs. middle school.
Why do your supervisors and other teachers think you should put more pressure on your students? What reasons do they give you for that?
naga said…
to answer your question, One Line Wang, "I hope you have a leg in it," means "I hope you have [your class] under control."
To answer your other questions: my sense is that my supervisor has seen a lot of rowdy and un-focused behavior fron the students at both the high schools. "Nice" teachers get they asses kicked - is sort of the attitude of everyone that I've met on staff. I mean on one hand I kind of agree, you know, you can't be wishy washy as a teacher. But on the other hand, it's after school! and I basically told my supervisor (and he agreed more or less) that it would be ridiculous to antagonize the students when they CHOSE to be there past dismissal, you know what I mean? But yeah, I've had to raise my voice a few times. But nothing crazy. It's totally different with high school students after school.

Middle school students too, though. After school or summer camp... but some of them clearly did not want to participate or be collaborative - they just wanted to do their own thing. I can see how hard it is for you...
giselle said…
mika!
this seems so great!you facilitated this discussion so well! i'm so impressed that a discussion on ground rules had so much beefy ismscism talk. good for you and your students! have they been following their rules? have you had any other discussions about stuff like that? i should work with highschoolers. maybe i shouldn't try to get certified in elementary ed. eventhough it seems like a good program. damn-it. i don't know anything. but you do!

Popular posts from this blog

postcard poetry: here are some of my favorite postcards that i've sent to people so far 1

providence can be a brutal city, just like any other. in this glass box I watched the ocean fall in sheets outside computer clusters, braid inside the gutters. umbrellas made no difference. this is the version i actually ended up using: Providence can be and has been just as brutal as any other city in the country, but i was safe and desperately warm within the glass cage, watching the Atlantic fall in sheets, watching the acid rain braid itself into the gut- ters, wringing words like fair- trade coffee from my strained eyeballs to stain the imaginary page on my computer screen.

obaachan

something came over me just now, as i finished writing holiday cards to ppl in japan. my grandmother is in a private hospital, blowing all her decades of savings in the high-income ward where she was placed when she collapsed from diabetes complications. she cycles in an out of good health according to my mother, who flies back and forth between DC and nagoya in the final months of her 30-year employment at the world bank. my mom bikes back and forth from the hospital to the little wooden row-house (長屋) that survived air-raids during WWII, virtually untouched since that time. back and forth in and out up and down how to break free of this incessant cycle of death and rebirth? only through struggle...