Skip to main content

Secret Message Writing Exercise (Epistolary Poem)

This is a great writing activity that I learned from DW, but I’ve modified it a little bit so that it will be easier to use with my poetry students. (D, please feel free to post your own version or other versions you have heard of.)

materials:

  • lined paper
  • tracing paper
instructions:

  1. at the top of the sheet of lined paper, write Dear ___________ (fill in the blank with whatever. this will be your reader, your audience, and you will write a letter as if to _______________.)
  2. write a secret message to someone that you’ve been meaning to tell but never had the guts to do it. (1 – 2 sentences, but they don’t have to be full sentences). write it on the lined paper so that the message is scattered on the page but so that you can still read it top to bottom and left to right.
  3. now forget your secret message
  4. when the moderator begins to keep time, start writing and don’t stop. write anything you want but don’t stop, even if you get stuck. if you can’t think of anything, just write nonsense until something comes to mind.
  5. whenever you get to a word in your secret message, use that word in the sentence you are writing at the time.
  6. when you are finished writing, use the tracing paper to circle the words that spell out your secret message. this tracing paper is your decoder.
  7. pass the letter to your left (you can choose to pass the decoder with it or not)

RESULTS:
We ended up doing this exercise, slightly modified (and we didn’t share any of the secrets) at our recent Kundiman Salon on Jan 2. There were about 10 of us in our apartment (including RL, DW, and myself.) We wrote for maybe 30-45 minutes, then shared the whole thing in the group. It was a pretty fruitful exercise for me, but for others it was frustrating. The most frustrating thing for me was that I resented my message every time I came upon a word in my “way.” But others appreciated this aspect of the exercise.
I don’t know if I’ll be able to do this with my students, since they keep coming and going. I thought it was a lot of fun to do though.

Comments

Dojiang said…
mika, i like the way you explain this exercise! especially, "now forget your message!" it reminds me of how i have to keep secrets. only thing is, i would circle the words of my secret message with tracing paper, before i wrote nonstop around my message.

also, another fun follow up exercise with your students might be to pair them up into pen pals. both people in the pair have the same template (order and placement of the secret message words) and they send secret messages back and forth to each other using that template. i've always wanted to try doing that with someone!
naga said…
cool! thanks doreen!
Coal said…
whens the next one?
Coal said…
I also watched a few episodes (somewhere in the middle) of Deathnote after reading your blog. It's too depressing so I gave it up!

I'm currently reading Berserk, Fushigi Yuugi, and GTO's prequel up at Mangafox.com.

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese Class in NYC - first lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's been a while since my last post! I have just begun my first job in NYC!!! Teaching after-school classes in Japanese Language and Anime Culture in a inner-city high school in dowtown manhattan! Welcome to the first installment...) "You better have a leg in it," said N__ when she heard how many students I had in my Japanese class: over 30. I had to ask what that meant, but I wasn't feeling any kind of ominous energy from the students who had signed up for after-school Japanese Language Club. What I mean is: Who signs up to stay at school for 3 extra hours unless they really want to be there??? After trying (and failing) to set up a DVD for the first hour, waiting for the students to trickle in, and being herded into a corner by a Student Government meeting, I began class. The first order of the day was to break up into groups and brainstorm what the students expected of each other, of themselves, and of me as a teacher. Many of them said the same things: for the t...

MangaNEXT Convention, Day 1

I have been facilitating an after-school Anime Club at two high schools next to Ground Zero, alongside teaching Japanese after school (there is a lot of overlap in the student participants). As I do more and more research on Anime and Manga availability in the U.S., I meet increasing numbers of young people of color from all kinds of backgrounds who are consuming and producing their own anime-related work. Yet the culture of Anime and Manga consumption/production in the U.S. is still dominated by white (and Asian) males, although there seems to be an increasing number of women being recognized on an institutional level. As an artist and teacher who was raised on anime/manga (I learned Japanese by reading and watching) I'm pretty interested in the changing social impact of Japanese/US manga and anime culture. So I decided to hop on NJ Transit bus #129 after work today and attend the 2nd annual MangaNEXT convention (only the second convention devoted exclusively to manga ever held in...