Skip to main content

Japanese Class Downtown Oct 30

This is turning into a weekly installment brought to you from Wall Street... J-Class! ...I need to think of a more catchy name for it... Operation Asian Sabotage... hmmm, too Fu Manchu.

After this Tuesday's class, I decided to try to write a post about performing/entertaining for my students in after-school. Basically, my supervisor keeps telling me that I can't expect to turn out fluent speakers by June. We meet for basically an hour once a week to learn whatever we can while eating pizza or mochi after being in school since 8am. What can we possibly do in such little time? (The answer, of course, is a lot, but first...)

I am worried that in the absence of real material, I am basically performing a racialized culture of "Japaneseness" for the entertainment of my students and for the agency that employs me, instead of being a facilitator/educator. There are a few reasons why I feel this way:


  1. My students see me as Japanese. And I am. But that's not the only thing that I identify as and that others identify in me. John Lie talks about typological thinking - the kind of thinking that groups people according to types that have no basis in real research. For example, one of my students said "I heard that all Japanese boys are shy." Whoever told her this could not have possibly met every single "Japanese boy" in the world, much less in the US or Japan alone. I am afraid that I will become a type of Japanese: one of my students, N__, told me the other day: "Ms. Mika you're so lucky... You have long hair and you're skinny..."

  2. A bunch of agency and foundation heads are coming to watch my class in a couple of weeks. I guess in the non-profit industrial complex (look out for another blog post that explains this particular industrial complex, a.k.a. the NPIC), it's important for higher-ups and funders to make sure that programs are being implemented according to proposed procedures and that they are meeting standards. But I thinkthat the NPIC is wack.

  3. The structure of an un-structured "Japanese" classroom sets up an expectation that everything that occurs during this time is representative of "Japan." In my class I try to introduce concepts that are relevant not just to life in Japan, but life in the U.S. as well. For example, immigration, "majority"/"minority" dynamics, gender issues, etc. But this is not the way I was ever exposed to Japanese society/culture/history except in specialized college courses. I sometimes fear that Japanese people from Japan - if they ever observed my class - would write me off as too strong-willed (「強い性格」) or too Americanized (「日系」).

Comments

giselle said…
regarding number 3:

i can relate to your feeling that if anybody from Japan ever saw your class they would think you are too "strong willed" and "americanized." i couldn't tell if you think this is bad - but, it kinda sounds like you do.

i think you shouldn't. because:
- you are "americanized" there's no escaping that!
- you are "strong willed" and that is what is so amazing about you and what makes you a great teacher!
- your students should know you are providing them with information that from a perspective that is japanese/american/japanese-american/colored in the u.s./.... etc. kinda like what you were talking about before, that you aren't only "japanese."

love you

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese Class in NYC - first lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's been a while since my last post! I have just begun my first job in NYC!!! Teaching after-school classes in Japanese Language and Anime Culture in a inner-city high school in dowtown manhattan! Welcome to the first installment...) "You better have a leg in it," said N__ when she heard how many students I had in my Japanese class: over 30. I had to ask what that meant, but I wasn't feeling any kind of ominous energy from the students who had signed up for after-school Japanese Language Club. What I mean is: Who signs up to stay at school for 3 extra hours unless they really want to be there??? After trying (and failing) to set up a DVD for the first hour, waiting for the students to trickle in, and being herded into a corner by a Student Government meeting, I began class. The first order of the day was to break up into groups and brainstorm what the students expected of each other, of themselves, and of me as a teacher. Many of them said the same things: for the t...

Secret Message Writing Exercise (Epistolary Poem)

This is a great writing activity that I learned from DW, but I’ve modified it a little bit so that it will be easier to use with my poetry students. (D, please feel free to post your own version or other versions you have heard of.) materials: lined paper tracing paper instructions: at the top of the sheet of lined paper, write Dear ___________ (fill in the blank with whatever. this will be your reader, your audience, and you will write a letter as if to _______________.) write a secret message to someone that you’ve been meaning to tell but never had the guts to do it. (1 – 2 sentences, but they don’t have to be full sentences). write it on the lined paper so that the message is scattered on the page but so that you can still read it top to bottom and left to right. now forget your secret message when the moderator begins to keep time, start writing and don’t stop. write anything you want but don’t stop, even if you get stuck. if you can’t think of anything, just write nonsense until ...

MangaNEXT Convention, Day 1

I have been facilitating an after-school Anime Club at two high schools next to Ground Zero, alongside teaching Japanese after school (there is a lot of overlap in the student participants). As I do more and more research on Anime and Manga availability in the U.S., I meet increasing numbers of young people of color from all kinds of backgrounds who are consuming and producing their own anime-related work. Yet the culture of Anime and Manga consumption/production in the U.S. is still dominated by white (and Asian) males, although there seems to be an increasing number of women being recognized on an institutional level. As an artist and teacher who was raised on anime/manga (I learned Japanese by reading and watching) I'm pretty interested in the changing social impact of Japanese/US manga and anime culture. So I decided to hop on NJ Transit bus #129 after work today and attend the 2nd annual MangaNEXT convention (only the second convention devoted exclusively to manga ever held in...