Skip to main content

some stats and an analysis of the struggle against the filthy rich in NYC in this past mayoral election

Dear friends,

Just wanted to share some personal reflections on the Nov 3 mayoral election....

Bloomberg thought he was going to win by a landlslide, but he squeaked by with the white and high-income vote. But the working people of Lower East Side and the Chinatowns throughout NYC were out on the streets tirelessly in the months and days leading up to this rigged election, up against $$$tens of millions worth of ads, robocalls, mailings and propaganda, speaking truth to power; and residents, small business owners, other workers heard. See results from press below!


Total: 1,100,649 votes (very low turnout, lowest in modern NYC history)
Bloomberg only won by 50,342 votes, lost BX and BK by wide margins.


Bloomberg’s votes mostly came from rich white voters:


According to NYT:

•Sunset Park voted to DUMP Bloomberg: 4645 for Thompson, 4497 for Bloomberg (we were out at the polls all day talking to folks in the neighborhood)

•Harlem, Jamaica (QNS), Washington Hts all voted to dump Bloomberg by a substantial margin
•2/3 of white voters voted for Bloomberg (mostly Jews, white Catholics)
•72% of Bloomberg voters make over $200,000/yr
•Black voters, making up 23% of the total, overwhelmingly voted against Bloomberg (73% of all black voters voted against him on Tues)


Bloomberg tried to buy the election:

•According to NY1 and Washington Post, Bloomberg spent $100 million on his campaign, ie: $200 per vote!
•CBS called it the most expensive self-financed campaign in US history
•Bloomberg is the city’s richest individual. Even his political advisor Joe Mercurio said he could not have won without spending his own money like he did. (Metro NY)
•Bloomberg spent 14 times more than Thompson (Washington Post), but only won by 4.6 points.
•Bloomberg bought the most expensive electioneers, and his Campaign Manager Bradley Tusk forced staff to work until 8pm every night over the summer, until they complained. He refused to listen to them. (NYT)

We had a big impact, but he's still in office. Just means more battles to come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese Class in NYC - first lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's been a while since my last post! I have just begun my first job in NYC!!! Teaching after-school classes in Japanese Language and Anime Culture in a inner-city high school in dowtown manhattan! Welcome to the first installment...) "You better have a leg in it," said N__ when she heard how many students I had in my Japanese class: over 30. I had to ask what that meant, but I wasn't feeling any kind of ominous energy from the students who had signed up for after-school Japanese Language Club. What I mean is: Who signs up to stay at school for 3 extra hours unless they really want to be there??? After trying (and failing) to set up a DVD for the first hour, waiting for the students to trickle in, and being herded into a corner by a Student Government meeting, I began class. The first order of the day was to break up into groups and brainstorm what the students expected of each other, of themselves, and of me as a teacher. Many of them said the same things: for the t...

Secret Message Writing Exercise (Epistolary Poem)

This is a great writing activity that I learned from DW, but I’ve modified it a little bit so that it will be easier to use with my poetry students. (D, please feel free to post your own version or other versions you have heard of.) materials: lined paper tracing paper instructions: at the top of the sheet of lined paper, write Dear ___________ (fill in the blank with whatever. this will be your reader, your audience, and you will write a letter as if to _______________.) write a secret message to someone that you’ve been meaning to tell but never had the guts to do it. (1 – 2 sentences, but they don’t have to be full sentences). write it on the lined paper so that the message is scattered on the page but so that you can still read it top to bottom and left to right. now forget your secret message when the moderator begins to keep time, start writing and don’t stop. write anything you want but don’t stop, even if you get stuck. if you can’t think of anything, just write nonsense until ...

MangaNEXT Convention, Day 1

I have been facilitating an after-school Anime Club at two high schools next to Ground Zero, alongside teaching Japanese after school (there is a lot of overlap in the student participants). As I do more and more research on Anime and Manga availability in the U.S., I meet increasing numbers of young people of color from all kinds of backgrounds who are consuming and producing their own anime-related work. Yet the culture of Anime and Manga consumption/production in the U.S. is still dominated by white (and Asian) males, although there seems to be an increasing number of women being recognized on an institutional level. As an artist and teacher who was raised on anime/manga (I learned Japanese by reading and watching) I'm pretty interested in the changing social impact of Japanese/US manga and anime culture. So I decided to hop on NJ Transit bus #129 after work today and attend the 2nd annual MangaNEXT convention (only the second convention devoted exclusively to manga ever held in...